Weight Gain Diet
Although the world seems to be full of people trying to lose weight, there are also those who want to find a weight gain diet – surprisingly, this can be harder than you might expect. So how do you gain weight – and not just any weight, but muscle rather than fat?
We have included some recipes to help you (below), but there are also some guidelines you should follow if you want to maximize your weight gain:
• Eat regularly: Eating regularly is essential if you want to gain weight – that means not just three meals per day, but healthy snacks between meals.
• Eat before bed: Night time is a crucial time for those looking to gain weight – eight hours without food can undermine most of the good things you do during the day. Have a snack before bed – a protein shake is ideal.
• Eat right after a workout: When you work out, you create a catabolic state in your muscles – that is, one in which your body breaks down muscle. To grow, you want to change that to an anabolic state – one in which your body builds muscle. By eating some carbs right after a workout, you shut off the production of cortisol, the main catabolic agent.
• Eat protein BEFORE your workout: The best time to have your protein shake is just before your workout. It takes the body at least two hours to digest protein, so if you wait till after your workout to eat your protein, your body will be without protein during the crucial post workout period.
Weight Gain Recipes
Your first consideration for a weight gain diet should be getting sufficient protein – it’s what your muscles need to grow. Choose a high quality whey protein mix (at least 80% whey), and use as follows:
• Mix with water, juice, or milk, depending on preference
• Consider other options too, such as mixing some oat milk or natural bio yogurt into your smoothies
• Mix with blended fruit or pure fruit smoothies to improve taste and as an easy way to get your 5-a-day
When to take protein smoothies:
• First thing in the morning
• Between meals
• Before a workout (be sure to include carbs with your pre workout smoothie to give you workout energy)
• After a workout (be sure to include carbs with your post workout smoothie to help your body recover more quickly)
• Right before bed
Weight Gain Breakfast:
Getting a good breakfast is essential for a weight gain diet. This is a good, simple way to start your day.
• 1 cup of whole grain cereal (any whole grain cereal will do)
• 1 cup of raisins/chopped nuts
• 1 Scoop of whey protein
• 1 cup of fruit flavored yogurt OR 1 cup of low fat milk
• Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
• Add milk or yogurt
For added variety, you can add fresh fruit – whatever is in season. Try bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.
Turkey BLT Wrap
An easy to make lunch time classic!
• 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 flour tortilla
• 3 slices of cooked bacon
• 4oz roast turkey breast
• 1 tomato
• A handful of lettuce
• Half an avocado
• Grill the bacon
• Spread the mayonnaise on the tortilla
• Line the center of the tortilla with bacon
• Top with the turkey breast, sliced tomato, sliced avocado and lettuce.
• Roll up and eat!
A dinner time favorite, and one that will help you add the pounds, in the right way!
• 450g (16 oz.) minced beef
• 400g (14 oz.) can of tomatoes
• 100g (3.5 oz.) mushrooms
• One chopped onion
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1/2 pint (300ml) beef stock
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Lasagne Verdi (1 Packet)
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
• 300ml (10 oz.) milk
• 25g butter
• 25g plain flour
• 50g grated cheddar cheese
1. Fry the Mince Beef and Onion in olive oil until brown.
2. Stir in the Stock, Garlic, Tomatoes and Mushrooms (sliced).
3. Cook for about an hour until the sauce is thick and rich.
4. If it is too watery, add 2 tablespoons of Cornflour dissolved in a small amount of cold water to thicken.
5. Grease an oven proof dish.
6. To make the Bechamel (white) sauce: Melt the butter, stir the flour in and add the milk, keep stirring until thickened.
7. Grate the Cheese and add
8. Season to taste.
9. Layer the ingredients as follows: Meat sauce, lasagna sheets, Bechamel Sauce. Continue until it’s all gone!
10. Sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese
11. Bake in the oven at 400F / 200C / Mark 6 for about 45 minutes.
You can serve this with a fresh salad, or, to really pack on the bulk, with garlic bread.
Mexican Style Chicken
A really tasty recipe, and easy to make.
• 450g (1lb) cut chicken breast
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 chopped onion
• 1 tin of tomatoes
• 1 chopped green pepper
• Pinch of coriander and cumin powder
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Lime wedges
• 1 packet of tortillas
• 1 tin of refried beans
• 8 oz grated cheese
• 1 jar of salsa
• In a large non-stick pan, fry the chicken and onions in the olive oil until browned
• Add the tomatoes, green peppers and seasoning (coriander, cumin, and salt/pepper)
• Cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
• Heat the refried beans
• Smear some beans on a warm tortilla
• Add the chicken/veg mix
• Sprinkle grated cheese on top
• Add salsa to taste
• Roll up and eat!
Using these recipes will help you to get your weight gain diet up and running.
Back to top of Weight Gain Diet